Making a gift of your time is one of the most significant and personally meaningful contributions you can make. Below, find volunteer activities as they apply to you–or to a work, school or church group.
Providing Food for our Shelters
If you are considering to generously provide food for our clients, please note: we are required to assure that you follow the guidelines set out below to ensure food safety.
Compass Housing Alliance has a vulnerable population whose baseline health is sometimes compromised. That’s why we need to abide by simple precautions to assure that their health is maintained.
We cannot serve any home-prepared food at our programs. We know that this is a departure from the past, but it is due to necessary health precautions.
The following food is NOT acceptable for donation:
- Food left out of a refrigerator for more than two hours
- Any foods that were canned or vacuum packed at home
- Perishable foods past their ‘used by’ date
- Foods in sharply dented or rusty cans
- Foods in opened/torn containers exposed to potential contamination
- Unpasteurized milk
- Foods with an “off” odor
- Home-cooked foods–or foods cooled or reheated at home (except backed goods)
To learn more about opportunities to volunteer, please call (206) 474-1067 or email: email@example.com.
- Help serve dinner at one of our shelters.
- Sort mail in our Client Services Office weekdays between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- We can always use one-time volunteers for donation sorting, office help, and more.
- Purchase, prepare and serve dinner for 40-80 men or women at one of our sites. Suitable for 3-8 people, depending upon the menu you choose.
- Bring just a dessert and help dish up supper at one of our shelters. Suitable for 2-3 people.
- Prepare and serve weekend brunch for 80 people at one of our sites. Suitable for 3-8 people.
- Bring breakfast to one of our shelters to serve 40-80 people (must be served by 7 am).
- Form a cleaning or yard work party to help one of our transitional housing sites.
- Provide a meal at one of our sites (see above).
- Make 150-200 sandwiches for clients of our Peter’s Place Day Center and drop them off (365 days a year).
- Collect and donate new socks, bath towels, washcloths, twin-size bed linens, pillows, new sweat pants (sizes L – XXXL), soap, disposable razors, deodorant, toothpaste and toothbrushes. Learn more by downloading our Donation Drive Guide (PDF).
- Make quilts for our shelter beds.
- Plan a yard work or cleaning project.